Pan American Silver Corporation is a company that demonstrates its commitment to workplace OH&S by partnering with MineARC Systems when it comes to mine safety solutions. Pan American Silver has entrusted MineARC with the design, manufacture, and installation of permanent refuge chambers at their underground Huarón mine in Cerro de Pasco, and their Morococha operation, located in the Yauli province of Peru.
On December of last year, MineARC Systems visited the Morococha mine site to install two permanent refuge chambers, each with a capacity for 30 persons. As each permanent chamber is designed to custom specifications by our in-house team of engineers, the facilities provide miners with multiple life-saving systems during an emergency.
These life-saving systems include:
- An external compressed air supply
- Secondary and tertiary oxygen supply
- Scrubbing Systems for removing CO and CO2
- Cooling and dehumidifying
- Atmospheric monitoring systems
- UPS battery backup system
A permanent refuge chamber can often prove to be a more efficient and cost-effective solution than portable and semi-portable chambers. MineARC’s refuge chambers have successfully been used in real life situations during underground emergencies.
As part of our support to Pan American Silver Corp., MineARC fulfilled a complete training program for mine site personnel. The program consisted of “Training the Trainer” scheme, as well as a MineARC Service School to educate personnel in on-site annual chamber servicing.
The miners at Pan American Silver Corporation are now well equipped and prepared in the event of an emergency situation
- 50 Person Permanent Refuge Chamber Installed at Mexican Mine “The objective was to install a permanent refuge chamber large enough to accommodate 50 personnel at any one time and that met Mexican Standard STPS023 (a culmination of Australian, Canadian, Chilean and American safety standards).” Continue reading.
- Permanent Refuge Chambers Bring Safety to Mexican Mining “Industrial Minera Mexico sought to offer their workers a secure area that would improve the safety of operations in their mines. MineARC’s regional manager, Tobias Sainz, approached them and offered a solution that met with all their requirements.” Continue reading.
- 200-Person MineSAFE Permanent Refuge built for Indonesian Mine “Over the past financial year, MineARC and Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) have been working together on FCX’s West Papuan asset expansion plans in the minerals district of Grasberg. Freeport-McMoRan, a leading international natural resources company with headquarters in Arizona, operates one of the world’s largest copper and gold deposits in their Grasberg operation.” Continue reading.