Safe Refuge for Hard Rock Mining - MineARC Refuge Chambers
Refuge Chambers (also known as Refuge Stations) form an integral part of an underground hard rock mine’s wider Emergency Response Plan (ERP). Fires, explosions, rock-falls, flooding and the release of smoke and other forms of toxic gas are the types of incidents that occur all too frequently, despite the high levels of planning and the safety precautions in place. In these types of emergencies, when evacuation is no-longer safe or practical, emergency MineSAFE Refuge Chambers are designed to provide a safe and secure ‘go-to’ area for personnel to gather and await extraction.
Cost Effective Refuge - MineSAFE Essential Design
The MineSAFE Essential Design Refuge Chamber provides the most cost effective alternative to MineARC’s flagship Standard Design; providing all of the critical features required to sustain life during an emergency.
- ELV ED Control System
- All major life support systems
- 8-30 people
Shaft Mine Refuge
- MineSAFE Narrow Design
The MineSAFE Narrow Design Refuge Chamber features a slimmer shell, designed specifically to accommodate tight hard rock mining confines such as shaft mines, whilst still providing all of the critical features required to sustain life.
- ELV Control System
- Narrow shell design
- 8-26 people
Portable Mine Refuge - MineSAFE Compact Design
The MineSAFE Compact Design Refuge Chamber is designed specifically for tight mining confines, such as single-entry development headings. It’s compact, ultra-portable design makes it easy to manoeuvre around underground mine sites.
- ELVP Control System
- Compact, portable design
- 4-8 people
Modular Shaft Refuge
- MineSAFE Modular Design
The MineSAFE Modular Design is designed to be easily manoeuverable around sharp corners and within tight mine shafts; it’s modular construction means each section can fit within a cage and then be fully assembled underground.
- Series IV Control System
- Modular construction
- 12-32 people
Permanent Crib Room
- MineSAFE Permanent Shelter
A MineSAFE Permanent Refuge Shelter is capable of sheltering upwards of hundreds of personnel in an underground emergency, and can also double as break, rest and lunch areas (crib room) during normal operation.
- Full customised for site requirements
- Cost effective for large shelters
- 30-500+ people
What is a Refuge Chamber?
MineSAFE Refuge Chambers (also known as Refuge Stations) are sealed, secure, accessible rooms that preserve life through the monitoring and management of essential gas levels for underground mining. CO2 and CO Scrubber technology monitors and eliminates toxic fumes for an extended period to allow the safe extraction of personnel from danger. Refuge chambers are commonly available as permanent and semi-permanent chambers, providing a safe ‘go-to’ area for personnel during an emergency.
MineSAFE Refuge Chamber Comparison Table
|Capacity *||Advanced Digital Control System **||iVAN ***||Aura-FX Gas monitoring||Modular construction||Powerless Portable System ****||Air-conditioning||36hrs Battery Backup||5psi Blast Rating *****|
- * Capacity Every refuge chamber is built with a certain rated occupancy in mind. The life support systems are designed to safely house this number of people for the designated duration.
- ** Advanced Digital Control System All refuge chambers with a Series IV Scrubbing System feature MineARC's unique Advanced Digital Control System.
- *** iVAN iVAN is an on-board navigation assistant that guides occupants through operational procedures.
- **** Powerless Portable System MineARC's Powerless Portable System means it can sit stand-alone for extended periods without requiring connection to mains (mine) power
- ***** 5psi Blast Rating MineARC offers blast rating upgrades to all refuge chambers.