Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook

Papua New Guinea Site Embraces EnviroLAV Toilet

Table of Contents
About this Article
MineARC’s EnviroLAV Toilet System is making a big impact at the Porgera Joint Venture in Papua New Guinea.
Related Topics
Published

The EnviroLAV Toilet System significantly impacts the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV)’s Porgera mine in Papua New Guinea. The underground mine has seven of the pneumatic toilets currently on-site – four male and female Dual EnviroLAVs, and four unisex Standard EnviroLAVs – with two more on order.

Taking the Lead in Hygiene across PNG Mines 

The Porgera Mine purchased its first EnviroLAVs in June 2015, based on recommendations from within the industry. The environmentally friendly nature and ease of maintenance were both seen as significant advantages of the EnviroLAV. However, the biggest driving factor for PJV was to improve health and hygiene standards across their underground mine. At the time, waste management facilities within the mine were limited.

The Porgera Mine has seven Standard EnviroLAVs on-site, spread throughout the underground mine. The toilets are on concrete pads, set at 1 meter high for ease of emptying. Their presence on site has meant that the contained waste can be flushed directly into the mine sewage treatment plant, resulting in no more direct handling and waste transportation to the surface. In addition, the solid, robust construction of the toilets has weathered well in the harsh underground environment of the Porgera Mine.

Less Maintenance, Safer Operations 

The EnviroLAV sees wide-spread global success due to its significant cost-saving and hygienic benefits. It requires emptying just once every 12 months, with standard usage. Fewer emptying requirements means contact between employees and waste matter is vastly reduced (compared to conventional restrooms). The EnviroLAV ensures a cleaner, safer, and more productive working environment for many sites worldwide.

 

About the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV)’s Porgera mine in Papua New Guinea

The Porgera Gold Mine in Enga Province, Papua New Guinea, is operated by Barrick (“Niugini”) Limited. Through an equal partnership between Canada’s Barrick Gold Corporation and China’s Zijing Mining Group Company Limited, which owns 95 per cent participating interest in the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV). The remaining 5% is owned by Mineral Resource Enga (MRE) Limited – a consortium consisting of the Enga Provincial Government and the Porgera landowners.

Share this Post
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Want to find out more?

Talk to an expert about our products, services, and custom solutions.